About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Speak Now

Pop culture is one of my deep loves in life. I loved Lost. I watch Gossip Girl and Americas Next Top Model. I pick up Us Weekly and read Simon Cowell's autobiography. I devoured the Twilight series in a week and have been sitting on my last of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Selema Gomez, Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus are all in my ipod. I'm a popular culture junkie.

One artist that my children love (especially Lila) is Taylor Swift. We have both her self titled album and her second record, Fearless. I sort of love Taylor Swift, but until yesterday my love for her had nothing to do with her music. I just think that she's a nice girl and great role model for my impressionable five and six year old daughters. Though a few songs have adult messages, she also sings about the value of coming from a great family and about how much she loves her parents. Most of her songs emphasize loving yourself and having self-respect. Also, she's not stumbling out of Hollywood bars and clubs every night. Though her personal life has been a bit of a spectacle, I get the feeling that Taylor Swift is the sort of girl who spends more time alone in her bedroom with a guitar than she does anything else. Because she's a super-star, this is a choice that she makes and I respect that.

Yesterday we got the album Speak Now, which was released on October 25th. We spent our trips to and from New Jersey listening to all the songs on her new cds. Previous to hearing the entire cd I heard her first single "Mine" and was completely unimpressed. After listening to the whole album I have to admit that Mine is still my least favorite track. That mentioned, I LOVE this album.

I love that Taylor wrote every song on the album "all by herself." I love that the songs are honest and that she's opened up a bit about who inspired them (Camilla Belle, John Mayer, Kanye West, Joe Jonas, Taylor Lautner). I love that her songs are confessional. I love how incredibly well written they are lyrically (particularly in comparison to her last two albums). I can't believe the growth that I see in her as a writer and an artist. The songs are interesting, heartbreaking, storytelling, diverse and engaging.

Here are a few of my favorites from the album:




No comments:

Post a Comment