About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Avocado Tree

After many years and a lot of guacamole, it has FINALLY happened.

I have stuck countless toothpicks into so many avocado pits that I have lost count, in order to grow my own avocado tree.  I have waited and waited and waited and watched and watched and watched.  I have put it outside in the summer sunlight and kept it inside by a sunny window.  I have left it in the same water and I have tried changing the water. Usually my avocado pit sits there until one of two things happens, it either shrivels up and turns black, or it grows fuzzy mold all over it.

Only once has a little root sprung, but no sooner did I get a stem and leaf did Sherbert attack it in the night and eat the top right off of my little tree.  I have never been so mad at him.  I took the wounded baby into my local greenhouse where they broke the news that there was no hope.  I kept that pit until the whole thing shriveled up into brown curls around a withered pit.  I may have even shed a tear or two.

I started this avocado tree when we moved into our new house in February from an avocado I got from planet organics.  And finally, sometime while the kids and I were away on vacation, this little root sprung!  I am beside myself with excitement!

Now, if only I could figure out what "pinching the top set of leaves" means in the directions.  I'm never gotten that far and I can't imagine pinching anything off of this precious development.

No comments:

Post a Comment