About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Black Bean Dip

Here's a great summer side!

Serve this hearty black bean dip with your bbq'd dinner instead of a potato or pasta based starch. It could be eaten alone as a side dish, but my family likes to scoop it onto a tortilla chip.

It could go from side dish to whole meal by rolling it in a tortilla with 1/2 a cup of rice.  Yum.

Here's how you do it:

You need:
1/2 cup fresh, chopped tomato
1 piece of bacon, cut finely
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 bundle of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 white onion, minced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup water
1 splash hot sauce
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1  sm bag monterey jack cheese


Use a medium pot to fry tomato, onion, bacon, garlic and cilantro in oil until the onion is translucent and the bacon is well done.

Add salt and pepper.

Add water, corn and hot sauce.

Stir occasionally until corn is fully cooked and mixed well with the other ingredients.

Mix in blackbeans.

Mix in cheese.

Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Serve warm!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment