About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Compost Pile

I've been really interested in composting lately.  It seems a shame that we don't have a pile, particularly with all of the veggies we're growing this summer.  When I worked for Big Green Earth Store I was responsible for helping maintain worm compost bins and took a class on worm composting and learned so much about it (even the customers taught me a lot).  It's about time that I started my own compost pile!

For the past few days I've been keeping all of my compostable scraps in a big coffee tin under my sink.  I made small holes in the lid.  Rather than spending $50 on a kitchen compost keeper, this will serve me just fine.  It's been crazily hot here, but my compost has not smelled (as it shouldn't).  The problem is that I needed a place to put the material, now that my can is full.

Today, with the help of a handsaw, some old, wood left to rot on the side of my house, a hammer and a few nails, I built a little compost cage AND worked on my tan AND got one hell of a work out.

This is what I started with.


















And this is my final result.


















In go the greens.


















Covered by the browns.


















And Then I covered it with wood!

Viola!

My very own compost pile!  And as a benefit, I got rid of a ton of ugly wood!

1 comment:

  1. That looks almost like the bin David made me except that the four corners are made out of actual logs.

    ReplyDelete