About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Grillin' Grillin' Mindin' my business. Yo Salt I looked around and I couldn't believe this.

Jay put together our new grill today and I made our first bbq'd dinner this evening!

Our menu consisted of marinated chicken, pasta salad, grilled zucchini and summer squash!

My marinade was really good!  I never follow any sort of recipe. I just toss whatever sounds good into a bowl and whisk it.
Tonight I used olive oil, vinegar, pepper, mustard, worchestire sauce, soy sauce, fresh cilantro and minced garlic.

I made my pasta salad with elbow macaroni noodles, grape tomatoes, cucumber, black olives and a little bit of Italian dressing.

I drizzled the zucchini and summer squash with olive oil and cracked garlic and pepper over top of them!

Dinner was DELICIOUS!!!!  I love summer cooking!

Tis the season to eat outside! There's very little that I love more!  I look forward to a summer of grilling just about every meal!

I absolutely hate air conditioning.  Previously, we lived in houses that didn't have central air conditioning.  They had window units.  I know that I stand alone in this, but I actually like window air-conditioning so much more than central.  I like being able to just cool one room.   The only time that I will turn on our central air is when my husband insists that it happen.  For this reason, cooking in the oven makes the house unbearably hot!  But cooking on the grill doesn't.

Right this second, I have absolutely everything that I want.

Well, everything BUT the pink flamingos that I've been dying for.  I want to line my peppermint patch with plastic flamingos.  Jay thinks I'm crazy, but I totally think that I"m onto something.

Flamingos are the new owl.

5 comments:

  1. HI Anna!
    I was thinking of you today and I really miss you on FB. But alas we can still keep in touch with your wonderful blog! Looks delish! I hope you are well, and clearly you are IN LOVE with California...awesome! Drop me a line love.
    thehousedetective1@gmail.com xooxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say that it's me Lora ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! i love it. i got your text, but was already SLEEPING. your dinner looks so good! yummy. i'm glad you're enjoying your oasis, and i say YES to flamingos. put a bird on it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN! Lora and Laura!

    Lora! I miss you too. We should phone chat some time. I will send you an email. I like being off of Facebook but I really miss seeing pictures and status updates from you. Maybe now that we live on the same side of the continent we can see each other! We can have a cruise reunion. lol

    Laura! Good for you. I went to bed a little bit on the early side too. And flamingos are great, right? Jay thinks that I'm crazy, but I'm going to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have the same grill!! funny. our old one actually broke the day of Abigail's birthday party last year so a quick run to Home Depot later we have a much nicer one. i really must learn to use it better/more. and how to clean it better. it just always seems baked on yucky.

    ReplyDelete