About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday in the yard

My friend Siet sent a bunch of seeds awhile back and we planted most of them.  One I veered away from because it came with a  warning.  It should be up and away from my pets because it's poisonous.  Because Sherbert Holler is a fierce, curious, warrior cat who spends much of his day outside, protecting our home from unwanted birds and human pests, no plant is safe from his consumption.

I decided to nail a basket to our pergola and plant this flower there.  I can't remember its name (and have thrown away the envelope that it came in) but it's supposed to be pink and fuzzy and quite pretty!

I think that once these pet killers sprout they'll look really beautiful there.

















I don't know what to do with the side of my yard.  Maybe I'll just let it be wild.  I have a geranium that is larger than any geranium I've ever seen before!
















I also have a huge mystery plant that is so pretty but I have no idea what it is!

















And my little peach tree is really working hard.  We have three peach trees.  One of them is quite large and is next to the lemon tree in the very back of my yard.  Two of my peach trees are small and on the side of my house.  I didn't know what they were until a neighbor told me that they bare the sweetest peaches.














But  my big, exciting news is that my little yellow pepper (remember I said that these were the hardiest plants in my garden) sprouted a flower!!!!!!!  How cute is my little pepper baby?
















I can't believe how quickly my garden grows and changes.  I am a little bit overwhelmed because I feel like I can't keep up with everything.  The weeds alone are out of control.  Weeding the front yard is something of a full time job, but the rest of it renders me exhausted.  That said, when I see something new poking through the soil or a pepper baby maturing I feel so satisfied.  I love how my girls are participating and we're all working together to keep snails out of the garden and monitoring the progress of all of our plants.  I had to move a few succulents today because they've been getting too much water from the hose while the girls play outside.  It's been in the high 70's and 80's every day here, so the girls have been cooling off with the hose pretty regularly!  It's great for the kids, but not the succulents!


No comments:

Post a Comment