About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese


I am always trying to create alternatives to casein laden foods so that Bunny can enjoy some creamy, cheesy, delicious eats.  A few years back my friend Mathew taught me to make a mac and cheese casserole and today I modified his basic recipe in an effort to make it Bunny-friendly.  

It was so incredibly delicious that I wanted to share it.  Everyone LOVED it.  I topped it with a sprinkle of the focaccia breadcrumbs that I made yesterday.  The breadcrumbs just gave this casserole a little bit of crunch that was texturally nice!  My girls devoured it.  I have actually never seen Bunny eat so much.  I think that this would be really great with asparagus mixed in, but Bunny and Lila weren't feeling it tonight.

Here's what you need:

1 box elbow pasta- cooked el dente 

1/2 cup flour
3 tbsp earth's balance

4 cups veggie stock (I like better than bouillon veg base but you can use whatever you want)
1 cup almond milk
1 container  of vegan cream cheese
1/2 bag daiya cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup corn starch whisked with water (add if you need to thicken the cheese sauce).

Seasoned breadcrumbs 

Here's what you do:

Make a roux by whisking the flour and the earth's balance.

Add veggie stock and milk and mix over medium/high heat, whisking constantly.

Add cream cheese and daiya cheese, whisk until mixed fully

Add Salt and Pepper

If your cheese mixture is a little bit runny, add a bit of cornstarch that has been dissolved in cold water and whisk it on high heat until you've achieved the desired thickness.

Use a glass casserole dish and pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni noodles.  Top with seasoned breadcrumbs.  

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes!  

My girls were crazy for this!!!!!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment