About Me

My photo
Concord, California, United States
I am a sometimes-writer, everyday mama, creative failure and experimental cook. I am interested in living a beautiful life, spending time with my family and making things that I can feel proud of. When I'm by myself I'm usually outside. Don't bother calling because chances are that I didn't bring my cell phone because I couldn't find it. If you see me walking, it's because I lost my keys and if you see me with only one child... I'm probably in big trouble.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Day In The Life

Our friend Felix, from NJ, is in town and came over for dinner last night.  He took this picture of us.

I haven't been blogging much lately (clearly).  I guess that my life has been pretty simple.  The school year is always an adjustment for me.  Things are more hectic and I have less time for projects at home.  That seems backward, as I always thought that I'd have TONS of time to strip furniture, make clothes and write books when my kids were in school full time, but such is not my experience.

I'm in maintenance for my weight loss, and so far so good.  I'm feeling really good with my new 1900 calorie intake and have checked in on my weight, which is remaining pretty stable.  I continue to track nutrients and calories and have evolved to base my food choices on the nutrients that I lack.  For instance, yesterday for lunch I ate half of a baked potato and half of an avocado.  I didn't do it because it's a great combination (which it actually turned out to be).  I did it because I was low on fiber and potassium.  I don't know how I ever lived my life without this information.  I just view food in such a different way than I used to.  It's like, the difference between learning to read and listening to a story.  Or, looking at a map and taking a history class.  My perspective is just completely different.  The struggle is over between me and food.  I never thought that I could have a healthy relationship with the stuff... but I do.  To say that I am proud of myself... or happy about this change, doesn't do it justice.  I finally feel free from a burden that I have carried for my entire life.  And there just aren't words for how incredible that feels.

I've amped up my workouts too.  Yesterday I began taking zumba classes and did resistance AND stepped it up on the treadmill for 60 minutes.  Today, I did the same (but with only 50 minutes on the treadmill).  I'm spending about 2 1/2 hours in the gym each day.  I go because moving my body is a therapy for me and it helps me in just about every way.  I go because it clears my mind, evaporates my stress, heals my wounds and makes me strong.  But I can't lie... I long for the day when I see some actual muscle definition.

I'm doing some volunteering at the school today.  I always love getting involved with the class.  There's a little bit of drama around my room parenting, but I've decided not to get involved.  It would have really upset and made me feel combative in the past, but these days I'm able to let it roll off my shoulder.  Maybe it's age.  Maybe it's California.  Maybe it's my husband rubbing off on me.   Maybe I'm just too tired from all exercise that I'm getting... but I've noticed, since moving here, that things don't bother me the way that they used to.  And when someone or something does bother me... I can talk myself down from the issue and better put it into perspective.

I'm pretty zen these days.  And I like it.

5 comments:

  1. you look amazing! I am so proud of you girl! Keep it up, it only gets easier and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look freakin' hot!! :) Quick question...the 1900 calories per day. Is that because you're in the gym so much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, because I'm in the gym so much, I should eat about 2300 for maintenance. But, I feel that's a bit high.... so I'm starting out lower. And thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Siet, it is weird to see "farrah" there. LIke a nickname for who you once were. lol.. Did you take that job?
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete